Sunday, April 6, 2014

Derby 10k Experience - Mo Farah watch out !!

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that I had gone off for an early Sunday morning run whilst we were moored up at Shugborough as part of my training plan for the Derby 10k road race which I was running in memory of my parents. Well, today it was the real deal as race day arrived on what would have been my Dads 93rd birthday. 

I signed up for the race (one I was never going to win of course) six months ago and did my first training run on New Years Day when I struggled to do half a mile and regretting ever having the ridiculous thought of entering. I had also coerced our youngest son Luke to enter to give moral support and purposely made the fact known that we were doing the race amongst family and friends so that I was prevented from changing my mind !!

In return, we decided to do the run for charity - Sight Support Derbyshire as my Dad was registered blind from the early part of my childhood onwards and it would have been his choice of charity and Macmillan Cancer Support in memory of my Mum who we lost last year and who received fantastic care from them during her final days.
What the day was really about (taken on our wedding day).
So we were up bright and early this morning, porridge for energy and off to the iPro Stadium where the race was due to commence at 9am. 5,000 entries and lots of folks we knew with pre race nerves. The weather was kind to us and the crowds were great to keep us going. My concern was a slight injury I had picked up in training ten days ago to my calf, but it held firm up to 8k, so just the last 2k were a bit painful. The buzz of finishing inside the stadium to lots of cheering was great, if not a bit emotional.

Legends....oh and Cloughie & Taylor of course
In full flow with 2k to go
We were determined to enjoy the experience of our first ever 10k and we both really did that. I said the time didn't matter and, in the scheme of things, it didn't, but I had hoped to be able to run the distance in under an hour (I'd got close in training). All runners had a timing chip on their shoe to get an accurate time, so after a nervous wait and the results being placed on the internet, I was delighted to see my time as 58.55 and Luke just ahead on 58.16 and to round it all off our charities have benefitted in the region of £1,000. What a great day in memory of two great people.

If you would like to make a donation to either of our charities, please click on either of the links above.


No comments:

Post a Comment