Saturday, April 19, 2014

Friday wasn't just was fab.

We're finally out with the masses for the Easter break and what a lovely day we had. A Good Friday it certainly turned out to be.

John had made the short drive over to Hopwas to pick up our guests for the day, Mark & Jane. Mark is a work colleague of Louise and he has plenty of boating experience, albeit on rather larger vessels, namely The Royal Yacht and HMS Coventry, on which he served during the Falklands conflict.

We didn't hang about once everyone was aboard, fully expecting to find the usual bank holiday log jam at Fradley. However it was not to be as we sailed through without any hold up at all - why can't it always be like that. Let's hope our luck holds out for the rest of the trip.
Louise talking 'paint' with Stanley

The standard picture of the Mucky Duck
We passed countless boats travelling towards Streethay. Everyone was in good spirits with the lovely weather. Just beyond Streethay there was a boat moored and as we approached Louise jumped up out of the cratch waving her arms. It was nb Tombee Too who we had travelled with last September through Leicester. David and Sheena were aboard so we had to stop and say our hellos. It was lovely to see them again and we all had a very pleasant hour chatting away and enjoying a beer or two in the sun.
Sheena, David, Louise, Mark & Jane - Streethay Branch of AA

More meat on Niki Laudas ears
This chap got the girls talking, out for a run in his 'budgie smugglers'

That is what boating is all about, made all the more enjoyable being unplanned, and Mark & Jane could quite get used to the lifestyle I think.

There were a number of boats heading our way, so unfortunately time was such that we had to make a move as we had a table booked for dinner at the Tame Otter at Hopwas at 5pm.

Whittington Wharf looked resplendent with all it's bunting and flags. It looked like they had some sort of event on over the weekend.
Whittington Wharf
As we left Whittington and it's poly tunnels we joined the back of a convoy of boats, the first three of which were all travelling together. The pace of life almost ground to a halt. One of the boats suddenly found itself broadside across the canal for no apparent reason, but would they allow those behind to pass......would they heck as like. So it was a very slow, but not too painful journey into Hopwas. The embankment above the River Tame is a lovely spot amongst the trees. We were certain that the village moorings would be taken, so moored just short of the village and walked the short distance in to the pub.
We got ourselves a convoy...
We enjoyed a very nice meal and a few more drinks in the Tame Otter before saying our goodbyes to Mark & Jane and walking back to the boat past the entirely empty visitor moorings !!

No comments:

Post a Comment